INVESTING IN LOCAL COMMUNITIES
In 2012, we established a dedicated workshop in a Sri Lankan village that was badly affected by the 2004 Tsunami. Today the workshop employs over 350 craftspeople who skilfully hand make raffia braid and crochet pieces; with a further 400 paid craftspeople in training. Helen Kaminski workshops offer stable employment, ongoing training, skill development and above average wages.
REAL RESPECT FOR THE ENVIRONMENT
We embrace REAL principles – Renew, Extend, Assess and Lessen – as a way to preserve the natural environment that inspires our designs and provides raw materials.
Striving to use renewable resources, we work towards Extending our product functionality and longevity, as well as continuously Assessing the way our resources are used to Lessen our impact on the environment.
- Raffia fibre is sustainably harvested so the tree remains unharmed.
- Product design and packaging are carefully reviewed to reduce freight volumes, and distribution strategies are continuously developed to maximise energy efficiencies.
- The performance and longevity of raffia based products are extended due to natural resin which provides strength, resilience and flexibility.
- A focus on high quality materials, workmanship, certified sun protection, water resistance and refurbishment services mean Helen Kaminski pieces are designed to last.
- Products require minimal post-purchase cleaning or washing, reducing environmental impacts.
OUR SUSTAINABILITY GOALS
We already have a head start on our journey towards a more sustainable future; the cornerstone of our brand is sustainably harvesting top quality raffia in summer and renewable Pure Merino wool in winter. But that’s not where we’ll stop. We’re on a journey to be a global brand renowned for authenticity, craftspersonship and care for the planet, it’s people and animals. To achieve this, we make sure that we work with suppliers that follow our strict standards, share these same values and will help us achieve our sustainability goals:
- Have a modern slavery free supply chain
- Have fair working conditions and respectful treatment for all people
- Minimise our carbon footprint by using recycled and recyclable materials
- Reuse, re-purpose and repair products to increase their life-cycle
- Meet international regulations in respect to animal welfare
A NOTE ABOUT MULESING
We select suppliers who meet our strict standards of ethical sourcing, including animal welfare, and require all of our suppliers to use humane animal treatment in order to prevent animal abuse and animal cruelty.
Merino Wool sheep are raised and sheared with exceptional care and skill, however we understand that some farms have to mules their sheep to protect them against deadly fly strike. We are working towards 100% traceability for Merino fibres in an effort to use more non-mulesed wool.